Friday, October 17, 2008

VSmile Cyber Pocket

When the UPS man rang our doorbell and left the package it was like Christmas come early to our house. Even though there was only one Vsmile Cyber Pocket in the package, the kids immediately insisted they would take turns using it and wouldn’t fight. I hoped the game and the kids would live up to their promises.

Packaging and Contents

I was happy to see that the package was easy to open. I know I’m not the only parent that gets annoyed by having to undo 400 zip-ties and unscrewing toys from cardboard. There was one strip of tape over the edge that I could peel off easily. Once that was open it was a matter of cutting open the plastic tray. I would have loved it even more if I didn’t need a scissor to open it, but I’ll take what I can get.

The Cyber Pocket comes with a wrist strap (which can be attached to the left or right side of the unit), a TV hook-up cord, one Smartridge, the new V.link (more on this later) and manuals for the game system and the Smartridge. Four AA batteries are also included so you can get started right away, however they recommend switching them out for alkaline batteries for longer life and optimal performance.

Set up

Set up was minimal to get the kids started. Just insert the batteries (no screwdriver required – yay!), attach the wrist strap, plug in the game and you’re set.

However, if you want your kids to start using the V.link right away, you have to set up your accounts online first. I didn’t set it up immediately as the kids wanted to just play the game. I actually used the TV hook-up option and put the game on the big TV so both kids could see it easily while I set up the V.link.

V.Link

So what is this V.link business? The V.link is essentially a USB drive that you plug into the game console. It saves your child’s games and records their points and progress. Their points get transferred to their accounts online, which can be used to unlock MORE games. I like to think of it as motivation for them to get better at the games… which, by the way, are educational.

The set up for the V.link took about 5 minutes. It probably would have taken less time, but the user name I wanted to use for my daughter was rejected because it contained “inappropriate language.” I wanted to use the word butterfly.

Kids’ impressions

The system says it’s for 5 years and up, and the game that came with it was a little beyond K, but he still had fun playing around with it. He was able to do some of the game and we took it with us to M’s swimming lesson. K sat still for the first time ever at her lesson. The Cyber Pocket is likely to become a regular at swimming lessons now.

M would have played all day if I’d let her. She was practicing putting sentences in correct syntax order and having fun doing it.

Mom’s impressions

The unit itself seems sturdy so that perhaps even Destructo Boy might be able to play it for a while without ruining it. Both my older kids liked it so much they were fighting over it, which I guess means it’s a good toy. The price tag however, at a hefty $70, makes it unlikely that I will be able to spring for 2 units so both kids could have their own.

We already owned the original Vsmile console, and all the Smartridges that we have for that also work in the Cyber Pocket, which is a big positive with me. K can play some of the easier games until he learns more reading skills.

Verdict

Great toy! It held my kids’ attention, they had fun and they were learning instead of beating up cartoon characters. If you’re looking for something to ask Santa for, this might be just what you want.

****************

Check out other bloggers’ impressions of the Cyber Pocket and other products at PBN.

No comments: