Friday, November 21, 2008

Hot Wheels Trick Tracks Sets

I was pretty excited when the Parent Bloggers Network offered me a chance to review Hot Wheels Trick Tracks Triple Stunt Starter Set and Power Loop Stunt Zone. K chose a Hot Wheels racing set as his reward for potty training a few months ago, and at the time he had a hard time narrowing down which Hot Wheels set to get. All the sets looked pretty cool to him.

When the first set, the Triple Stunt Starter Set, arrived, the kids took one look at the box and started to jump up and down with excitement. If only their mom was better at deciphering the assembly instructions! The set up took 30 minutes, during which time the kids were asking every 2 minutes if I was done yet. The instructions were only diagrams that were not as clear to me as they could have been. I would have liked a few more words to help me as well.

However, once assembly was complete and the kids were turned loose with the toy my frustrations were lessened by the joyful sounds of my kids playing together. I heard things like “Awesome!” and “Watch this!” followed by “cool!”

The first time playing with it they played for 1 hour, and fought over who got to do what stunt first approximately 4732 times.

I didn’t really see the lure of some of the “stunts” like the crane drop. But since the toy isn’t aimed at 30-somethings I guess that’s okay. The kids still thought all 3 of the stunts were quite spectacular and had fun digging out a bunch of their cars to try in the different stunts.

When we (and by we I mean Craig) set up the Hot Wheels Power Loop, it took slightly less time than the first set took. Craig took about 20 minutes to put the toy together, abandoning the instructions in favor of looking at the picture on the box.

Once the toy was together, K especially enjoyed the Power Loop. This toy came with more tracks that K also liked to just attach end to end and slide cars as far as he could.

With the Power Loop, you put a car on the “launcher” and press the launch button. The car then does several loop-de-loops, lifts up a sort of escape hatch and the car rolls out across the floor. The first time I saw the car do that I thought to myself “cool.” Then I realized that I’m a grown-up. Ha.

Both of these sets were “starter sets” so there are several more sets that all connect together. The fun is expandable, yet still fun with just the starter sets.

Each set comes with only one car, which isn’t a problem around here since we have a giant bin full of cars, but that fact might frustrate people who are just starting their Hot Wheels collection.

These sets, once put together, offered my kids hours of entertainment so I’d definitely recommend them to other parents of car enthusiasts.

No comments: