Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Strawberry Shortcake

One of my best friends in elementary school had an extensive Strawberry Shortcake doll collection. When I went to her house to play, she would inevitably truck out the dolls and want to play with them together. I was more of a Barbie girl, and Hot Wheels cars girl but I still had fun playing with those fruity scented dolls.

The first time I saw a Strawberry Shortcake DVD once I had kids of my own I bought it purely for nostalgia’s sake. My son will occasionally ask to watch that when my 6-year-old daughter is at school.

So when I had the chance to review a new Strawberry Shortcake DVD, Strawberry Shortcake: Happily Ever After, I didn't hesitate to say yes.

I told the kids they'd be able to watch the DVD as soon as M finished her homework, but then we decided to keep the momentum of good will and productivity going so the kids hammered out their Valentines too. Then we sat down to enjoy what I hoped to be a berry berry good show. (You knew there would be at least one of those, right?)

Both kids were singing along with the catchy (and slightly irritating) theme song as the movie started. Honestly I have the theme song running through my head for days after I hear it.


The kids both immediately quieted down once the story began. The movie has songs throughout to help tell the story. The first song was about being pretty on the inside that not only had a great message, but also had my daughter swaying along to the beat.

My 4 1/2 –year-old son watched too and neither kid did much moving for the entire 45-minute show. It takes quite a good show to make my son sit still that long so he must have enjoyed it.

The movie was divided into two stories, one an adaptation of Sleeping Beauty and the other an adaptation of Rapunzel. I appreciated that the movie had two main messages that were both very positive: the first about not jumping to conclusions and giving your friends a chance to explain, the second about being true to yourself even when others try to change you.

Following the show, I immediately heard from my daughter “I liked that show Mommy. It was cool.” My son chimed in “Yeah, we liked that show. Can we watch it again?”

Have a Strawberry Shortcake fan at your house? Leave me a comment here telling me about any memories you might have of Strawberry and the gang and you could win your very own copy of this movie courtesy of PBN. I'll have one of my kids draw the winner on Sunday.

While you're at it, check out what the other bloggers had to say about this movie, and enter for two more chances to win.

Or if you don't want to wait, click on over to Amazon if you want to buy Strawberry Shortcake: Happily Ever After today.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't really play with strawberry shortcake dolls like you I was more of a Barbie Dolls and hot wheels cars kind of girl. I think my cousin Becca would like this, would make a good bday present.

Anonymous said...

I didn't just love Strawberry Shortcake as a little girl. I wanted to *be* her and I wanted it so badly it hurt!

Now I feel all mushy inside when Tessa and I catch it on the Satuday morning cartoons and she loves her too.

Anonymous said...

I had the dolls and watched the cartoon on Saturday mornings. LOVED the way they smelled, almost as much as my scratch-n-sniff sticker collection;)

Anonymous said...

I had one of those dolls, and yes i too remember the wonderful strawberry smell!Good that the movie has meaning, not just a silly cartoon.

Anonymous said...

I had a Strawberry Shortcake boat as a child... for some reason my mom never caught on that I liked her... but it was Strawberry Shortcake and her pink cat, Custard (i think that was the cat's name... either that or I made it up) in a boat, that I only got to play with at my grandparent's house. So now I'm waiting for the return of Rainbow Brite! :)