Saturday, December 20, 2008

Build-A-Bear-Workshop

We have never been inside a Build-A-Bear-Workshop. I’m sure they’re great fun. The one at our local mall was short-lived, and my kids were too young to realize what it was anyway at the time. Now, the closest store that I know of is at the Mall of America. We’ve seen it, we’ve walked by it, but when we get up to the Mall, my kids are more intent on getting to the rides than doing anything else.

But if you were to listen to my oldest daughter you’d swear she’s made many-a-bear, or at least is certain that she’d love it. And I don’t doubt that she would. It seems that most of her school friends are quite familiar with Build-A-Bear-Workshop and are quite willing to let M in on the particulars.

So when I was offered the chance to check out one of the finished products, I thought I’d better do it.

Hal arrived in the standard, recognizable Build-A-Bear-Workshop blue and white box. I was immediately impressed with how soft he was. Then I tried to light his antlers and I may have swooned a little.

Okay, maybe not swooned but I did immediately think Oh no I have three children how am I going to decide who gets this moose?

Hal is cute, and soft and I know any of my kids would love him and oh no I’m feeling the need to visit the store next time we go to Minneapolis to the Mall of America. It suddenly sounds really fun.

I’ve heard of people putting their children’s binkies into a bear at one of these stores to send the binkie on its way yet keep binkie nearby. I thought about doing that when we were trying to get K to give up ginkie, but I clearly was too lazy.

I also received a book about Hal and his sister Holly called Holly and Hal Moose: Our Uplifting Christmas Adventure. I’ll be honest again. My first thought when I flipped through the book? It is looooong. Nine chapters long of a children’s book. Lots of reading. Not a book to read all in one night to be sure. My kids and I read the first few chapters together and it’s a cute story. We’ll finish reading over the next few days.

If you order both Hal and Holly you receive this book for free. Hal and Holly are $12 each or $24 for both. Yes, I know that looks like you don’t get a deal if you order both, but you do. You get the book ($15.99 list price) free if you order them together.

(According to their website, if you order by Monday 12/22 @ 3 p.m. EST and use 2 Day Express Shipping you can still get it by Christmas!)

Here’s the really good part of this whole review. I also have a $10 gift card for Build-A-Bear-Workshop to give away. You can use the card in a store, or, if you’re lazy like me, online. Just leave me a comment telling me your favorite animal from the site.

Please make sure you leave an email or that your email is very noticeable on your blog (if you do such a thing). I’ll pick a winner Monday night by random.org or by one of my kids, whichever I think is less work at the time. (Or, if the kids are sleeping when I get around to it then random wins!)

By the way, Baby D gets the moose.

7 comments:

Henry said...

We love tabby kitty. We have a Build-a-bear an hour from us. I'd love an excuse to take my daughter!

quitecontrary1977@hotmail.com
http://nowenteringmomville.blogspot.com

Pam said...

We are fond of Bunny Big Ears over here!

Anonymous said...

Hal is pretty darn cute. I think you got the best one.

Kristi

Anonymous said...

Big Bunny Ears for Amma!!

Anonymous said...

My favorite is the Hello Kitty one, I know it would be my daughters favorite one too.

andproulx (at) charter (dot) net

Brimful Curiosities said...

I love the Snow Angel Tan Swirl Bunny. Thanks so much!
pvilletoygirl at gmail dot com

Kimberly said...

Pawcet the Pink Spotted Leopard is our favorite here.

Very cool!

kimberly615 at yahoo dot com